CAN-BIKE(Cycling) Instructor TR0032
Job Summary: To plan, organize, implement and provide instruction of the CAN-BIKE programs in either an on-road or car-free environment.
Machines and Equipment Used: Bicycle, helmet, recreation and various office equipment, first aid kit.
Season(s): Spring, Summer
District(s): All District map (pdf)
Wage: $19.13 per hour
- Plans, organizes, implements and provides instruction of the CAN-BIKE programs.
- Utilizes the appropriate CAN-BIKE curriculum for the course being offered.
- Demonstrates correct use of cycling safety equipment and procedures.
- Secures teaching environment and assesses all equipment (bikes and helmets) according to Health and Safety standards.
- Verifies cycling routes prior to the start of the session.
- Performs pre-course communication with students to assess students skill level for appropriate course enrolment.
- Maintains a safe and supportive learning environment, ensuring that the skills being taught are appropriate for the skill levels of the students.
- Implements strategies to limit falls in the bike handling portion of the class.
- Adjusts teaching parameters to changing road, traffic and weather conditions and the fitness level of participants.
- Responsible for 5 to 8 cyclists of varying ages and abilities in low, moderate and high traffic on road conditions.
- Co-ordinates with co-instructor if applicable.
- Performs administrative tasks to support the program, including incident/accident reports where necessary.
- Interacts with participants, staff and the public to provide program information.
- Evaluates participants and completes progress reports.
- Ensures staff follow the principles of Healthy Child Development (High Five) in the planning and delivery of programs.
- Ensures that program facilities, equipment and supplies meet Health and Safety standards.
- Takes action to deal with incidents, problems and emergencies and comply with Divisional/City Policies and Procedures.
- Attends and participates in meetings and training sessions, including participating in Mandatory First Alert Training.
- CAN-BIKE 2 and CAN-BIKE Instructor certification
- Current Ontario Cycling Association Membership
- Significant experience working with the appropriate age group.
- Must produce original current Emergency First Aid certification as recognized by the WSIB.